Thursday, September 30, 2010

Other Gems of the Brooklyn Museum

Also circa summer 2007 BM visit.

Auguste Rodin (Francois-Auguste-Rene Rodin, 1840-1917)

In my opinion, Rodin is one of the most incredible sculptors I have seen.  Much of his figurative work is heavily textured, which I find very evocative, especially since it is predominantly bronze.  Here are several crap-tastic photos taken with the crap-tastic phone I had at the time.

This will not be the last we see of Odin's work.  But until more of his work resurfaces, much of it can be found on the "Rodin Museum" website HERE.  The MET also has several Rodin sculptures.

P.S. This is what Rodin looked like.  Sweet beard.

Addendum (September 2008):
An additional Rodin sculpture from BM...the same sculpture from profile view in fact.  All of these are part of the permanent collection and reside in the museum atrium near the entrance on Eastern Parkway.

Tribal Art from the Northwest Coast Indians (Alaska, etc)

Here are several gorgeous hand-carved and painted wood sculptures from the Indians of the Northwest Coast.  (Also photographed from my crap-tastic cellular device.)

Orca whale.
Judging by the nose, I would say this is a bear but I could be wrong.
The head of a raven.

Top left working downward: eagle, beaver.  Top right: bear.

Last summer I visited Alaska and saw tons of beautiful carvings similar to these.  Perhaps I will have a totem poles post sometime soon.  Art from two Northwest tribes worth looking at are the Haida and Tlingit tribes.  Very geometric and expressive animal imagery.

Addendum (September 2008):
A wooden tribal figure.  Not Northwest Coast but still really cool.  West Indian, possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment